How To Get Involved In Sports at DeLand
Welcome to DeLand High School Athletics! We are very excited that your child is interested in trying out for one of our sports teams! Any student with a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA that is interested in trying out for a DeLand High School sports team must complete the process detailed on this page in ordered to be cleared for participation. If you have questions, reach out to our athletic director.
- Students must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Students must be registered at DHS
- Transfer students must complete FHSAA form GA4 before their first practice.
- Transfer students must provide a current transcript of their academic record.
- Student athletes must attend school and receive grades for all courses taken during the previous two semesters.
- A student is limited to four consecutive school years of high school athletic eligibility beginning with the year they started 9th grade for the first time.
- A student may not participate in athletics at the high school level if he/she turns 19 before July 1st of the upcoming school year.
- In order to participate in any athletic activity (open gyms, season participation, weight room, or conditioning) an athlete must have a completed physical packet on file.
The student must have all FHSAA paperwork completed and submitted before conditioning, practicing, or playing in interscholastic competition. This paperwork includes the following:
- EL2 Form
- student information
- medical history
- physical evaluation
- EL3 Form (Completed digitally through athleticclearance.fhsaahome.org)
- consent & release with insurance information (general)
- consent & release (concussions)
- consent & release (sudden cardiac arrest)
- consent & release (heat-related illness)
- Impact Form
All sports physicals and clearance paperwork will now be submitted online as we transitioned from the old paperwork format to our new digital platform. As a parent, this process eliminates the need to drop your paperwork at the school or send it with your student-athlete.
We look forward to the numerous benefits that this system will provide for you, your student-athlete, our coaches and our department staff. In order to participate in any summer/preseason conditioning workouts or team tryouts you must create an online account: athleticclearance.fhsaahome.org and upload all required documents. It will then be processed by our athletic department and you will receive an email from the school clearing you for the sport(s) you selected.
Online Athletic Clearance Directions
In order to complete this process, you will need the following documents to upload in the system.
- Completed Sports Physical (EL2 Form for Doctor, you can print from the site)
- Completed ECG form (Signed by Doctor)
- Insurance Card (Must upload new card every year with current policy information)
- Birth Certificate (First Time DeLand High Athletes, All Freshman and Any Transfer Student)
- FHSAA GA4 Form (For any student who is a transfer or has attended another high school)
- Visit athleticclearance.fhsaahome.org and choose your state.
- Register and complete the fields, including a security question. Parents must register with a valid email username and password.
- Login using your email address and password.
- Select “Start Clearance Here” to start the process.
- Select the school year, select your school, select your sport (MUST BE THE FIRST SPORT that you will need clearance for at DHS, any other Winter sports or Spring sports can be added in a later screen).
- Complete all required fields for the following 5 steps:
- Student Information – Must use legal name.
- Medical History – Answer all questions, provide necessary information.
- Parent/Guardian Information – Answer all questions, provide necessary information.
- Signature Forms – Parent and Student sections.
- Upload All Forms
Once you reach the confirmation message you have completed the process.
If your student athlete is interested in trying out for any other teams in order to be cleared for preseason conditioning or team tryouts, THEY MUST REGISTER FOR ANY ADDITIONAL SPORTS by checking off those sports below the Confirmation Message. Electronic signatures will be applied to the additional sports/activities.
All of this data will be electronically filed with the DHS athletic department for review. When the student has been cleared for participation, an email notification will be sent. At that point their name will be added to a coaches cleared to participate list.
Home School Athletes
The FHSAA has revised its procedures for determining eligibility for home school students. If you are a home school student interested in participating in athletics at DeLand High School, please download and complete the EL7 FHSAA Home School Education form. When you have completed and notarized this form, please contact the Athletic Office to schedule an appointment to review this form and finish the FHSAA submission process. Please plan to bring the notarized EL7 form and 2 proofs of residency including a parent driver’s license and preferably a utility bill in the parents’ name. You are not permitted to participate in competition until the FHSAA has approved the submission process. This process usually takes 2-3 business days from the time it is submitted to the FHSAA.
The state of Florida and the FHSAA requires that all student athletes have insurance as athletic injuries are not covered by the school or Athletic Department. DeLand High School does not endorse a particular provider, but if you are in need of purchasing school based insurance you can use the link below to reach the School Insurance of Florida If you have questions about available policies, please contact the company directly at 1-407-798-0290 or schoolinsuranceofflorida.com
For more information on high school sports, eligibility and compliance go to www.fhsaa.org
Pay to Participate Fees
Please complete the Pay to Participate Form and turn this in along with payment to the Coach Jenkins or Mrs. Schrier in the front office, Bldg 4.
All pay to participate fees are due by the 1st regular season game, meet or competition date.
- 1st Sport $75
- 2nd Sport $25
- Additional Sports No Charge
Incoming 9th Grade Students
Incoming ninth grade students may begin participation at the high school level on the Monday following the last day of the school year. Please be advised that a completed physical packet must be on file with the Athletic Office prior to starting any athletic activities including open gyms, weight room, or conditioning.
Please note that any persons affiliated with the Athletic Department at DeLand High School including Coaches, Athletic Director, Boosters, school district personnel may not speak to prospective students until they are registered students at DeLand High School as to not violate FHSAA recruiting regulations. We appreciate your understanding in this area.
***Please be advised that once you participate in any athletic activity each summer or school year, you have established residency at that school year for the duration of the coming school year. A transfer to another school may jeopardize your athletic eligibility. If you are considering transferring to another school (variance, academy, moving, etc.) please do not participate in any summer activities until you are ready to establish your school residency for the remainder of the upcoming school year.
Congratulations! Your visit to this page indicates you are considering competing at the collegiate level. This decision bears great significance as you prepare for college. Please use the links on this page to help you investigate and navigate your way through the NCAA and NAIA Eligibility Process.
Important Points to Consider:
1) Please understand the college recruiting and eligibility process is highly individual and all parties involved have a role in this process. Please contact your high school coach if you are interested in participation at the next level. Your coach will help you evaluate your level of play and help you understand what levels may be best suited for you.
2) Please use the "Eligibility Center" link to help you navigate the NCAA Eligibility Center and what steps you should take each year in high school.
3) Academics are probably the most important factor in being able to compete at the next level. Please use the links provided to keep informed as to what academic courses you need to complete and when you need to have them completed. REMEMBER YOU BEGIN BUILDING YOUR TRANSCRIPT IMMEDIATELY UPON ENTERING HIGH SCHOOL!!!
4) When you take the SAT and ACT, remember to send your scores to the NCAA. The code for NCAA is 9999.